Monday, March 15, 2010

Davidson Day hires new girls' basketball coach


Former Davidson Wildcats guard Jessica Mitchell was named the head girls basketball coach at Davidson Day Tuesday, March 9. The former Davidson basketball standout comes to Davidson Day following a stint as an assistant coach for the Wingate University Women’s Basketball program (2009-2010).

“Anyone who watched Davidson athletics in recent history knows what a fierce competitor Jessica Mitchell is and what an exceptional leader she is on and off the basketball court,” Davidson Day Athletic Director Kevin Buechler said. “She learned from some of the best coaches in the area in Wingate coach Barbara Nelson and Davidson College coach Annette Watts. We are thrilled to add such a talented young coach and exceptional role model to our Patriot coaching family.”

Mitchell brings a wealth of experience to Davidson Day, on both the Division I and Division II college landscape, as a player and a coach. Prior to arriving at Wingate University, Mitchell was a Graduate Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at Augusta State University in Augusta, GA (2008-2009).

"I am very excited to be taking my first head coaching job at Davidson Day School. I feel as though I have learned a lot over the last six years, both as a player and as a college coach, and I am ready to bring some of that experience to the program and DDS,” said Mitchell. “It's a tremendous opportunity."

In addition to having the chance to head a basketball program, another factor in Mitchell’s decision was the opportunity to come back home to Davidson.

“I really enjoyed my four years at Davidson College, athletically and academically," she said. "I found that after I left this area, I could really appreciate how incredibly special it was. The relationships that I established here have continued to be staples in my life, even after my college career was over. I feel blessed to be back to the place that I still identify as "home." There really is no other place like it.”

Davidson Women’s Basketball Coach Annette Watts had this to say on the hiring of Jessica Mitchell: "I think the young women of Davidson Day are in for a learning curve, great time and exciting basketball. Jessica was a fundamental player and I know she will be a fundamental coach. I cannot wait to watch the girls’ basketball program grow.”

A native of Wilkesboro, N.C., Mitchell earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art History from Davidson College in 2007. While at Davidson, she was a three-year starter for the women’s basketball team. During her senior year, she was elected team captain and led the team to a 23-9 record; the best in school history.

--Davidson Day press release

0 comments: